Almost everyone who have worked within a communications or marketing team has come across some level of digital asset chaos. I know I have.
Today I met two communications sisters, both eager to market their brand, but facing the same issues. They represent two different organizations, but told me the exact same stories. They simply couldn't keep control of their digital assets. These are a few issues they often faced:
- They both experienced the frustrations of not finding that specific image they knew existed somewhere within the organization. Effect - Spending hours of searching, and worst case having to buy the same image again.
- They’ve lost several assets simply because people quit and started working elsewhere. Effect - Loosing knowledge and assets due to lack of sustainable solutions.
- Felt they can't control copyrights and expiration dates effectively. Effect - Learning the hard way - having to pay for using images without the legal right to.
- They feel they have less time than ever to deliver content. Effect - Less time for marketing activities that drives conversion.
Everything that is produced or bought belongs in your DAM; images, videos, presentations, inDesign documents, press material. From the DAM your content can be available for your Sales Team, PR, Communications, Customers Service, etc. All of this content then should be published to your communications channels such as CMS, Brand Portal, Media Portal, Image Gallery, PIM, Facebook, YouTube, intranet and so on.
Going back to the issues I mentioned, here is how a DAM system helps you.
- They both experienced the frustrations of not finding that specific image they knew existed somewhere within the organization. With a DAM solution - Since you tagged your asset with accurate metadata you will find your image in approximately 2 seconds. You can also see where the image has been published historically.
- They’ve lost several assets simply because people quit and started working elsewhere. With a DAM solution - You loose nothing, everything is safe in your DAM.
- Felt they can't control copyrights and expiration dates effectively. With a DAM solution - Don't learn the hard way - pay fees without breaking copyrights.
- They feel they have less time than ever to deliver content. With a DAM solution - I believe this is an issue for many and we cannot bring you more hours a day. But we do save time you earlier spent on searching and managing assets. We have customers saying they save up to three hours a day per person after implementing a DAM. That is a lot of hours to use in real marketing activities.
Sadly, this is the situation for many communications and marketing teams. I know, I have been one of them. Meeting these like-minded is one of the best things about my job. I can relate to their situation and I understand their frustration. And even better, show them there is a solution to manage the issues.
Hopefully this will inspire you to consider a DAM system!